27 July 2009

Weekly Log - 20 through 26

Monday Jul 20
Everyone seems to be talking about the flu today. I overheard the sub saying the store personnel will have classes about prevention and symptoms. I'm not overly worried about it (or included in these classes, still, I read pretty much everything there is to know about it in between replacing magazines on the rack). I think most people are making a storm in a glass of water out of this, really. Still, I entertained the idea I would get the flu - being the one distributing the fliers about prevention to customers, that I or one of the other promoters would get the flu and pass it on along like that... sort of tickles me in an ironical way.

I am thinking of getting a notebook. I saw one cheap at €250 and it sounded like a good buy. I needed a machine with Windows and a portable one for D&D and this seems to fulfill the needs. The worst part is, of course, buying it. I've tossed some numbers around and I think I can make it in a couple of months, still, I need to look into it once I am sure of how much I'll get. The presence sheet was forwarded today, so I hope to get some cash either this week or the next.


Tuesday Jul 21
The sub told me she thinks I make a face whenever she talks to me. I notice nothing, honest and truly, but it seems my murderous side insists on showing whenever that bitch addresses me. See, this woman doesn't speak. She only knows two tones: holler and shout. Loves the sound of her own voice, she does. Also loves to make people wait: there were three girls for interviews waiting for over an hour to meet her and she made them wait the whole damn fuckin' hour. I was at the counter trying to make up chit-chat so people wouldn't get too mad, and even I was tired of waiting for her.

Whenever people try to put themselves too much above me, I either picture them naked or a few years back. Because the law is clear: everyone has something they want to hide, nobody is absolutely perfect and superior at all times in the course of a lifetime. I am usually careful of that shit, and have a few embarrassing stories of my own. I try to imagine how people were on their first day of school, their first day of their first job... only I can't imagine this one doing anything else than ordering people around. She would have her ass fired from wherever she was if she spoke like this to co-workers, bosses and customers. The cool thing here is that after several years of both parents shouting at each other over the dinner table or sofa, I have become immune to screaming. She sort of blends in with the background. By my third hour, I don't hear her anymore: the store radio is actually more audible in my ears than her voice. Unless they're playing Katy Perry.

Wednesday Jul 22
All systems had gone to Hell by the time I got home. No TV, no Internet, no telephone. And, of course, no cellphone credit to call support. Just batey.

I had to wait until 9 for Mum to get home so I could call from her cell. After fiddling with data, customer numbers and who's who (apparently they have a problem that I am calling instead of the person mentioned in the contract. Good luck if you ever have to talk about computer issued with my Mum, buster. She will fuck you up), I was told there had been a problem out in a street around here... a post that fell due to the heavy winds we felt today all day... so that might be it. They're sending a technician on Friday, but until then, I'm stranded. Let the isolation sit in!

Funny how my mind works, though. I was thinking just last Monday that I should get some more stuff downloading should I get bored for some reason. You know, have something to occupy my time. Comes in handy now: I got a SNES emulator and several games to keep me busy until the Internet is back. Megaman, Contra, Super Mario Bros... all the classics.


Thursday Jul 23
Mnhe. Dull day. Watched Titus again, the movie not the sitcom, and it remains very awesome (if you like Shakespeare and I do). The movie is visually gorgeous and very well executed. And Anthony Hopkins is great, of course. It's a story that has every element possible to get me to watch it. Murder, revenge, rape, mutilation, odd soundtrack, Anthony Hopkins, epic-sounding dialog, everyone dies in the end... you know. A relaxing movie at the end of a day's work. Because if your job sucks on toes and you have to take it for eight hours with a smile, at the end of the day you couldn't care less about educational TV. It's the juicy violence we want!

Friday Jul 24
Well, the technician came by (I wasn't present, went out for a couple drinks with a friend) and... well it seems our problem had nothing to do with the fallen post. It was a disconnected wire. On Kid bro's room. A bloody disconnected wire. It was a fuckin' disconnected wire. Which nobody noticed because when I asked everyone if they had checked the cables, they told me they had.

Calm blue ocean. It's Friday. It's over. Going on with the weekend, ...

Weekend Jul 25 - 26
Did my best not to move a muscle this weekend and let my legs really rest up. I've been getting more punishment on them than they deserve. No signs of cash on the horizon yet. Since Saturday is the 1st, I can't believe they are actually ONLY going to pay me on Friday. (who am I kidding. As if I didn't know how this shit works....)

I did have enough to buy a six pack and chips, and spent both days watching old sitcoms. I'm still thinking of writing a sitcom based off the shit that happens in that supermarket. The cafeteria dude says the place is "Monty Python-y". My campaign supervisor calls it "the Seventh Circle of Hell". The girl who works with me usually says it resembles visiting time at the mental hospital. Me? I think it's merely a small space packed with humans. Shit is bound to happen: take a secluded space, fill it with people, disable the social unspoken law present in subways and trains that you shouldn't speak to people you don't know. Now get everyone in a hurry for a reason or another (or no reason at all!) and see what you get.

Downloads for the week include the aforementioned SNES emulator with several games from several websites, a couple more Batman comics to add to my collection and a few songs I was missing here and there. You know, the ones you like but won't download the whole discography from the artist.

No comments: